All the best resources in one place
Stay up to date on all the digital resources available for your family during the Coronavirus outbreak.
This curated collection of resources features virtual programs created by the Orem Library as well as lists of the best online resources from other educational institutions.
All resources found on this page are free to Orem Library card holders.
Our Favorites for Kids
Our Favorites for Teens
Check out these newly available resources!
"One of my favorite things about Creative Bug is Creative Bug Television. I enjoy learning more about the artists and watching the mesmerizing time lapses of their works."
“Explora has a great video collection. I enjoyed the art section, especially the videos about cartoons and cosplay."
“Tutor.com is great online educational resource! It offers live on-demand, online tutoring in all core K-12 subjects from 12 noon until midnight. Students (and parents!) can sign on for one-on-one tutoring sessions to get help from either English or Spanish speaking tutors."
“What’s available on Universal Class? The real question is what isn’t available? There's mathematics, test preparation, homeschooling, computer classes, writing skills, business, personal development, and so many other categories."
“What I like about Mango is that you can record your voice and compare your pronunciation to a native speaker. It compares your sound waves and shows you where your emphasis differs from native speakers."
“Did you know you can stream videos from OverDrive? It's a veritable treasure trove of feature films (The Imitation Game), mini-series (Lonesome Dove), kids shows and movies (Paddington), documentaries (IMAX Bears), Sundance films (Blackfish), and over 160 Great Courses (Wonders of the National Parks)."
Database Tips & Tricks
Do you think it's possible to learn a new craft skill in 31 days? With Creative Bug's daily practice videos, you can, and best of all, you'll have a finished product at the end!
One of my favorite features of Tutor.com is the Math and English Drop Off service, where you can submit a math question/problem or a paper for tutors to review. They will then either send your feedback or prepare a personalized tutorial to help you. These will be left in your ‘locker’ for review at any time.
Did you know that RBdigital offers eMagazines? Did you know that those magazines are always available for checkout? That’s right, no more hold lists! Plus, many of the magazines have multiple back issues available too!
Explora for primary and secondary offers ebooks! These are downloaded as a pdf and are always available. Be sure to filter for ebooks only from the left hand menu.
Trying to stream videos from OverDrive? Remember, the Libby app currently doesn’t support these offerings. They can be easily accessed, however, through the OverDrive website or the OverDrive app.
Did you know that all of the lessons on Mango Languages can be downloaded so you can learn and practice without a wifi connection or using your data? Mango starts with everyday phrases,too, instead of vocabulary you wouldn't use in most situations.
Learning through Universal Class works because you have assignments and tests, and you receive real feedback regarding your work and progress. Plus, all the programs are self-paced so you can work whenever and wherever you want.
Virtual Storytimes, Puppet Shows, and Storytelling
- Julie’s Library – Weekly readings by Julie Andrews
- The King’s English – Storytime at 11 am, Monday – Friday on Facebook and Instagram
- Provo Library – Storytime at 11 am, Monday – Friday on Facebook and InstagramTV
- Center for Puppetry Arts – Live performances
- Bill Harley – Daily live Facebook show
- International Storytelling Center – YouTube videos
- Timpanogos Storytelling Festival – YouTube videos
- Book Readings with Olaf – week nights on Twitter #GadBookClub
- Bedtime Stories with Michael Chabon – Children’s bedtime stories every night
- Poetry readings – Utah poets Katharine Coles, Rob Carney, and Paisley Rekdal
- Peter H. Reynolds – Everyday readings
- Oliver Jeffers – Daily readings at 12:00 pm
- Mac Barnett – Daily readings at 7 pm
- Ben Clanton – Facebook videos
- Grace Lin – Book readings
- Diane Alber – Daily live read-alouds on Facebook and YouTube
- Laura Numeroff – Reading of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
- Pete the Cat Readings – Fridays at 10 am
- Greg Pizzoli – Author and illustrator of 30 books for kids, will have live readings and general goofs every weekday at 11am EST
- KitLit TV Read Out Loud – Collection of children’s authors reading their stories
Free eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems – Posted daily at 11 am
- Jarrett Kroscoska – Drawing lessons
- How to Toon – Free cartooning classes
- Natomas Art and Education Foundation – Three art project videos each week
- Stimola Live – Live web events for kids and teens with authors and illustrators
- Ideal Exhibition – Children’s author/illustrator Herve Tullet videos
- The Art Assignment – YouTube channel
- Molly Idle’s – How to draw Tuesdays
- Spy Hop: Rewired – Live online workshops for students, ages 10-19
- Drawing with a Disney animator – Daily at 1pm on YouTube
- Carson Ellis Art Club – Art assignments posted every weekday for kids and grownups alike
Zoos and Aquariums
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden – Live events at 1 pm
- Monterey Bay Aquarium – Webcam
- Aquarium of the Pacific – Webcam
- Explore.org: Walrus – Webcam
- National Aquarium – Webcam
- Houston Zoo – Webcam
- San Diego Zoo – Webcam
- Smithsonian National Zoo – Webcam
- ABQ BioPark – Facebook Live stream featuring animal feedings and more
Digital Escape Rooms
- Fairy Tale Escape Room – Recommended for tweens and teens
- The 74th Hunger Games Escape Room – Fun for teens, adults, and Hunger Games fans everywhere
- Marvel’s Avengers: Escape from the Hydra Base! – Great for families
- Escape from Star Killer Base! – Fun for all ages
- Spy Apprentice – Best for teens and adults
- Space Explorer Training – Medium difficulty level
- Cinderella Escapes – Great for families with young children
- Pete the Cat – Perfect for young children
- Even more digital escape rooms!
Virtual Museum Tours
Classical Music and Opera
Dance and Theater
- Neil Young – Live fireside performances
- Together, At Home – Virtual concert series
- Ben Gibbard: Live from Home – Daily shows on YouTube
- In My Room series – Short home concerts on Rolling Stone’s Instagram at 1 pm
- Third Man Public Access – Jack White studio YouTube live series
- NPR List of Virtual Concerts – Schedule of free online concerts starting March 16.
Nature and Other Virtual Experiences
Sports, Health, and Exercise
- Write. Right. Rite. Series – Video series and writing prompts from Jason Reynolds, the National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature
- Dan Santat’s Online Survival School – Online learning for kids and parents
- Future Learn
- MIT Open Courseware
- Open Culture
- Ivy League University Courses
- Dyson Engineering Challenges – Engineering challenges for young minds