How to check out library e-books on your digital reader
Click Below for PDF instructions:
1. Library books are loaned through Overdrive which is a digital media collection. You will need your library card number to access this system. If you use an Orem Public Library Card, you will have access to the collection that contains books purchased by the State Library and digital books that Orem Public Library has purchased. Using a Provo Library Card will give you access to State Library and Provo Library purchased books. Either card will work but you may see different titles.
2. When checking out library books, please remember that the library purchases each digital copy. There are not an unlimited number of any titles therefore; you may have to wait on a hold list until your copy is available.
3. You are allowed to check out up to 5 titles at one time with a loan period of 7 to 21 days.
4. For a Kindle, look for titles that have a Kindle book option. Library books will only check out via a WiFi connection. Even if your device is 3G enabled, you will need to be connected through WiFi to download. Per publisher mandate, some books will only download to your computer and transfer to your device via the USB cable. Kindle DX is not WiFi enabled so if you have a DX, you must download all books and transfer them via the USB cable.
5. For a Nook, you will need to download the Adobe e-pub versions to your computer and then transfer the book to your device via the USB cable. Visit the Overdrive site and download the Adobe Digital Editions software, which you use to manage your library books, before you begin to download library books. Most other formats, Sony e-reader etc, will use the Nook directions.
6. iPad, tablet and Kindle Fire users can download the free Overdrive Media Console App. IPad users will find it at the App store. Other platforms can download it directly from the Overdrive site. This app works well for smart phones as well. Using this app, you are able to read the Adobe e-pub versions of books that are available. NOTE: In order to use the e-pub files you will need to authorize your device to use your Adobe account OR you will need to create an Adobe account, then authorize it. Please see directions in section 12 about how to create an Adobe account. Once you have the program downloaded, you will add a library, sign in using your library card barcode and then browse and download your book. After you choose and download a book, it will appear in the Overdrive Media Console on your device.
7. A few things to keep in mind as you use library books for your digital reader.
A) Please remember using Overdrive to check out library e-books is a system in its infancy. You probably will experience some frustrations from time to time and we would ask your patience. Policies and procedures may change with no notice to you or us.
C) Also, if you are having trouble, Barnes and Noble and Amazon both provide excellent customer support and if you are struggling to get your device to work, they are a great resource to contact. Amazon can be contacted at: 1-866-321-8851 or accessing Kindle Support from your Amazon account.
D) Finally, remember that companies are more interested in you purchasing books for your e-reader than in borrowing books for free. We can only purchase titles that are made available for library use through Overdrive, and that is a very limited selection. Unfortunately, we may not have access to every title you want us to purchase but feel free to make suggestions and we will see if an item is available.
Downloading a Digital Book
There are a few ways to access the digital media collection. The following is the most direct and inclusive method.
1. In the address window on your computer, type in pioneer.utah.gov.
2. Under Pioneer Databases, click on Overdrive – Audio & e-books.
3. In the upper right hand corner, click on “sign in”.
4. Now, select your library (Orem or Provo depending on your card) from the drop down menu.
5. Enter your library card number when prompted.
6. You are brought to the “My Account” page. Here you can check on your items checked out, your items on hold and change the loan period for your items.
7. You are now ready to browse. Since Overdrive has audio books as well as digital books, it is best to limit your search to the digital collection only. To do this, look at the collections listed in the blue border on the left side of the page. Down at the bottom, choose either eBook Collections or View all eBooks. You can search by author or title. If you click the check box at the top of the page, you can limit your search to titles that are currently available.
8. When you locate the item you wish to check out, click on add to cart. The book is now in your cart and you may check out or continue browsing. Items will remain in the cart for 30 minutes. If you don’t want to check out a book, you can click the “wish list” button and the title will be saved in your wish list. That way, you can remember the title and check it out at a later date.
9. To check out, click on the “proceed to check out” button.
10. You will see an account note that tells you how many books you have checked out and how many more you are allowed to check out. NOTE: If you don’t complete the check out process, the book will stay checked out to you but won’t be available on your device. To complete process, click on “Get for Kindle” or “download”.
11a. FOR KINDLE: Click on get for Kindle. This will bring you to the Amazon website. On the right side of the page, click on “Get Library Book”. You will then be prompted to log in to your personal Amazon account. Verify that the item is being delivered to the desired device and press “continue”. The item will download to your Kindle the next time you are connected to a wireless network. (If you are at home and connected to your home network, it happens almost instantly.) At this page, you are also given the option to download the item to your computer and then transfer it via USB to your computer. Instructions appear under download, learn more.
11b. FOR KINDLE VIA USB: Occasionally, you will see a book that that says “For Kindle Devices via USB only.” Because of publisher restrictions, this book may only be delivered to your computer and then transferred to your Kindle via the USB cable (it is part of your power cord.) Check-out through Overdrive occurs in the same way as a wireless download except you will be asked to confirm which device you are going download to. Before you download the item, connect your device to your computer using the USB cord. Click download. You will then be prompted to save the file and you must choose where to put it. 1. Open my computer. 2. Look for the Kindle drive (usually f: kindle). 3. Click on the Kindle drive to open it. 4. Find the downloads folder and click to open it. 5. Save the item here. Wait 3 to 5 minutes for the item to transfer, then unplug your device and the item should be on your Kindle home screen. As per manufacturer’s recommendations, always be sure to safely eject the Kindle device from your computer.
12. FOR NOOK: First download the Adobe Digital Editions software to your computer. From the home page of the Digital Media Collections, there is a blue bar on the left side of the page. At the bottom of the bar you will see “Download Software”. Click on “Adobe Digital Editions.” The next page that opens offers you several software choices. Click on download Adobe Digital Editions. You will then be directed to an Adobe Page. Here you can download the software. If you do not already have an Adobe account, you will need to create one. There is no cost but be certain to write down your user name and password because you will need that information again. Once you have set up your Adobe account, you can then click the download software button. Follow the onscreen directions on how to save and run the Adobe Digital editions software. The program will set up a shortcut on your desktop so that you can easily open the program when needed. Now, you are ready to download books to your computer. Browse the Overdrive site being sure to choose books that have the Adobe e-pub option and follow the checkout procedure described above. Click on the “download” button and “Open” the file. This will cause Adobe Digital Editions to open and you will see the file download. Now, close the Adobe Editions program, plug in your Nook and then re-open the Adobe program. You will be asked to authorize your Nook for use on the computer. (The first time you do this, you will need to type in your Adobe password.) In the upper left hand corner, click on the icon with three books. This will open the library view of Digital Editions. Place your mouse on the book you have downloaded and drag it to the Nook folder. Wait 3 to 5 minutes for the file to transfer. As per manufacturer’s recommendations, always be sure to safely eject the Nook device from your computer. On your Nook, go to “My B&N Library”. You will find your book in the “My Documents” section.
Managing Your Library Loan
- To manage your library loans for Kindle, log into your Amazon account. Click on “Manage your Kindle”. This will open a title list for your Kindle library. All library books have the words “digital library” next to them. On the right side of the page, click on the “Actions” tab and choose “return this item.” This will return the item to Overdrive however the title will remain in your library so that you have a record that you checked it out. If you wish, you can purchase the item or delete the note from the “Actions” tab as well.
- You will receive and e-mail from Overdrive three days before your loan expires. At the end of the loan period, the book will disappear from your device. Using your 4-way controller, you can delete the note from your Kindle.
- To manage your library loans for Nook, open the Adobe Digital Editions program on your computer. From the library view, you will see all the items you have checked out with a note on their status (expired or how many days remain on the loan.) In the upper left hand corner of each item is a grey arrow. Bring your cursor here and you will see the words, “item options.” If you click this tab, you can return the borrowed item or delete the note.
- At the end of your loan period, the book on your Nook will no longer open. You will see a message that states, “loan has expired.” If you click on “item details and options” you can delete the item title from your document section.
Overdrive for iPad, Tablets, Kindle Fire and mobile devices
- With the Overdrive App, you manage returns from the application itself. Simply open the item, click on edit, then choose delete and return item.
1. If you experience trouble at checkout and you have changed your loan period, go back to your account and change the loan period to 14 days and then see if you are able to check out the item.
2. If your Overdrive account shows you have an item checked out to you but it is not your device, you can try returning the item and recheck it out.
3. If you have a Kindle, remember you must have WiFi access for a download. Log into your Amazon account and see if the item appears in your library. If it does, you can transfer the item to your device via the USB cable.
4. If you have a Nook and your Overdrive account shows the item is checked out but not on your device, you can try returning the item and recheck it out. If the item shows on your Adobe Digital Editions library, but not on your Nook, you may not have given the file sufficient time to transfer to your Nook. Plug in your Nook, restart Digital Editions and then re-drag the title to your Nook shelf and wait 5 minutes before you eject the device.
5. Don’t forget you can contact Overdrive, Amazon or Barnes & Noble directly for troubleshooting and technical support.